HUB WATER & WASTEWATER PROCESS TECHNICIAN
Closing Date: Open
The mandate of the Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation (OFNTSC) is to provide engineering and technical advisory services to all Unaffiliated First Nations and Tribal Councils in Ontario.
The OFNTSC requires the services of a HUB Water & Wastewater Process Technician to assist the OFNTSC HUB Supervisor. This position will require up to 90% travel weekly.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the OFNTSC HUB Supervisor, the Water and Wastewater Process Technicians are responsible for:
- Providing onsite Operator support to ensure Provincial regulative compliance of process control programs and maintain health and safety requirements for water and wastewater treatment processes in Ontario’s Unaffiliated First Nations.
- Implement Operations and Maintenance practices for Unaffiliated First Nations water and wastewater systems utilizing pertinent tracking software skills and applying analytical, problem-solving, planning, and scheduling skills to inspect, operate and monitor processes and equipment. Make process control adjustments; resolve operating issues.
- Apply analytical skills to analyze data, monitor local performance against legal requirements, resolve onsite compliance issues and meet the OFNTSC’s HUB targets.
- Share knowledge of environmental compliance including relevant regulatory and legislative acts, codes, policies, guidelines, and procedures related to environmental compliance and the impact on the operation of the water and wastewater treatment systems.
- Provide advice & guidance regarding technical compliance to a variety of internal and external contacts in addition to facilitating in-house training to Unaffiliated First Nations Operations staff.
- Track and support necessary compliance documentation for completion of major maintenance projects.
- Evaluative Operational skills for compliance and quality status of First Nations’ water and/or wastewater treatment systems.
- Support procurement processes and procedures
- Apply, interpret, implement and maintain water and wastewater programs based on legislated requirements and various internal operational processes
- Mandatory Class II certification in Water Treatment and/or Class II in Wastewater Treatment
- Alternatively, a Professional Engineer registered in the Province of Ontario.
- May consider lesser qualified candidates minimum Class I Water &/or Wastewater license, as specified in O.Reg. 128/04 of the Safe Drinking Water Act and O.Reg. 129/04 of the Ontario Water Resources Act.
- Post-secondary education in an engineering &/or environmental discipline or field of knowledge.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to prioritize and take initiative.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extensive awareness and knowledge of water and wastewater treatment operations and processes related to water and wastewater treatment.
- Extensive awareness of the Drinking Water Quality Management Standard (DWQMS).
- Extensive knowledge in environmental compliance and health and safety requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other relevant regulatory and legislative acts, codes, policies, guidelines, and procedures related to workplace safety.
- Auditing and inspection skills to conduct internal audits, respond to findings, participate in inspections and make recommendations to assigned facilities.
- Excellent written skills with an ability to prepare written technical letters, reports, procedures which may include photos, charts, and graphs.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office database functions and maintenance programs, proven experience in the operation of computers and SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must maintain or obtain a Class II certificate of competency for Water Treatment as per the regulations of the Ontario Water Resources Act O. Reg. 170/03 within 1 year;
- Must have at least five years of progressive proven full-time maintenance experience;
- Must be available after regular working hours for emergency situations or on-call for a cluster of Unaffiliated First Nation WTP sites throughout the Northern and Southern Ontario regions.
- Valid Province of Ontario Class G driver's license or equivalent.
- Ability to travel to Unaffiliated First Nations extensively.
"In efforts to promote the safety, security, and wellbeing of staff members, communities, and people we come into contact with, the OFNTSC Human Resources department will be giving preference to applicants who have proof of two full doses of a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination."
Please mark clearly the upload as “Water & Wastewater Process Technician” and upload your cover letter and resume with the attachment labelled as [LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_W&WProcessTechnician2022]
We thank all applicants, however only those receiving an interview will be contacted.